[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Andinia.com - Foros / Forums / • Ver Tema - Ebola - Liberia Closes Borders
El buscador para los amantes de las actividades al aire libre: exploración, supervivencia, deportes y viajes de aventura.

El buscador para los amantes de las actividades al aire libre. English Espanol Portugues

Cualquier palabra Todas las palabras - Agregar sitio

Los foros de Andinia

Fecha actual Lun Oct 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Todos los horarios son UTC

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 2 mensajes ] 
Autor Mensaje
 Asunto: Ebola - Liberia Closes Borders
NotaPublicado: Mar Jul 29, 2014 11:38 am 
Administrador
Administrador

Ubicación: Reino de la Araucanía y Patagonia - España - Argentina
It seems that the current ebola epidemic in Africa is the deadliest known so far, and governments in the continent are taking desperate measures to stop it. Liberia has announced that its borders, save a few checkpoints, will be closed until further notice. Public gatherings have been banned as well.

Ebola has a 90% plus death rate, it is highly contagious and so far has no cure. From a survivalist point of view, the only possible thing to do is to avoid contact with infected people.

Under present conditions, if an ebola epidemic reaches populated areas it could cause really serious troubles, reminiscent of the .

By no means it should be underestimated, and unless a cure is found it is only a matter of time until it appears elsewhere in the world.

Asunto: Re: Ebola - Liberia Closes Borders
NotaPublicado: Vie Ago 01, 2014 1:29 pm 
Administrador
Administrador

This is a very, very dangerous situation. Ebola is contracted easily, is deadly and so far there is no cure. Yesterday I learned that two U.S. volunteers got the virus while working in Africa and they are going to be moved to Atlanta for treatment.

While they deserve treatment and this is understandable in humane terms, practically speaking it is exceedingly risky: Since the death rate of ebola patients is 90%, it is frankly speaking of little use to take those two poor souls out of Africa - they are dead anyway.

By doing so, other people outside the danger zone might become exposed, spreading the virus. What if the plane in which they are going to be carried has an accident? What if somehow the virus gets out of containment in Atlanta, which is a major city? Why take such chances for something that unfortunately, will likely end in the death of those two people?

Moreover: Basic survival rules and simple common sense imply that you do not put at risk during a rescue operation more people than those than you intend to save. Just see what is happening around the tragedy of flight MH-17 these days: Since there is fighting in the area where the plane crashed, experts do not go there. Having others get killed or wounded will not help anyone, especially the victims or their relatives.

Until at least some form of vaccine or antidote is found infected people should be quarantined in the places where they got ebola. Sad but inevitable, and I have to say that indeed I would not like to get infected with anything like that and then get quarantined - I guess nobody would - so I am not talking from the position of an "armchair expert", which I am not, but there is really no choice.

A couple of months ago I had to suspend a trip to the Patagonian Andes because in the area there was a Hantavirus alert. Hanta is deadly, but not as much as ebola, and even in such a case the best way to deal with the thing is not to place anyone - not even yourself - in a position in which they - or you - could get infected: Had I climbed the mountains, not only I could have gotten hanta, but I could have potentially carried it back to civilization on my return from the mountains. Thus, I did not go, not just for my sake but for others as well.

Just remember what happened during the black death or plague in the XIV century: Eventually it killed a sizeable portion of the world's population. As people went from one place to another, they took the plague with them, and that was during the middle ages, with slow communications and transports.

Since ebola seemingly incubates for up to 20 days, quite literally the virus can go around the world 20 times before any symptoms appear in the first patient that got it and got into an aeroplane.

This move is reckless, to say the least.

BTC: 16qMaJyTXB3EyYrTvMJ6GsQUc238hnKoSS LTC: LgBZscVTNjfE6SFQg5DYNz1bGKnPbF9xiX

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 2 mensajes ] 

Todos los horarios son UTC