El buscador para los amantes de las actividades al aire libre: exploración, supervivencia, deportes y viajes de aventura.

El buscador para los amantes de las actividades al aire libre. English Espanol Portugues

Cualquier palabra Todas las palabras - Agregar sitio

Los foros de Andinia

Fecha actual Lun Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am

Todos los horarios son UTC

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 2 mensajes ] 
Autor Mensaje
 Asunto: F-22 Raptor - A Waste of trillions of Dollars?
NotaPublicado: Mar Jun 24, 2014 3:54 pm 
Administrador
Administrador

Despite that I am an aviator, I never got quite interested in the development of the F-22 Raptor, a design that supposedly would change the paradigm of air combat. The reason: It seemed to me overpriced from the beginning at just a mere hundreds of millions of dollars per plane, and thus, useless.

I come from a family that was involved in past centuries in big-time deals such as selling warships and financing military contracts (See The Skowronek Bankers), so I know from first-hand past history that every party involved in such deals tries to maximize profits, that there is lobbying and even corruption going around, and that not everything is really as it is protrayed. But generally speaking, the weapons delivered do work.

However, you can't say that the F-22 works if it costs around 380 million dolars per unit, as critics say, and at the same time, it is vulnerable even to light weapons' fire, meaning that a 50 cent. bullet can effectively destroy one of those things.

This case seems to be the mother of all useless deals. As a weapons system the F-22 / F-35 family of jets seems to be not much more that a white elephant, a topic that should be studied in organizational analysis college courses as an example of what should not be done. But also unveils an enormous network of "legal" corruption.

But not many seem to care - not even U.S. citizens that lost their homes recently due to an economic crisis caused precisely by this sort of practices in the finance markets.

BTC: 16qMaJyTXB3EyYrTvMJ6GsQUc238hnKoSS LTC: LgBZscVTNjfE6SFQg5DYNz1bGKnPbF9xiX

Asunto: Re: F-22 Raptor - A Waste of trillions of Dollars?
NotaPublicado: Mar Ago 23, 2016 1:58 pm 
Administrador
Administrador

One thing that I was recently wondering is what would happen if some country would deploy squadrons of little training planes like the Alpha Jet or Pampa with four or six intermediate-range air-to-air missiles against the F-22.

The truth is that save the case that F-22 attackers achieve total surprise and destroy 100% of all enemy forces - highly unlikely -, since they carry only a moderate payload and can maneuver sluggishly, they would even fall prey airplanes with intermediate range air-to-air missiles, even little training ones, because one lauched, the missile does not care from where it comes. From then on, it is the same thng if it comes from an F-16 or an Alpha Jet.

Think about it: If a five-year old tries to fight you as an adult, you would win, but if - say - six or ten five-year olds attack you at the same time with clubs, they might just hit you between your legs on in your head and make you fall. And then they win.

So, if you have a plane costing hundreds of millions of dollars with just two air-to-air missiles pitten against five 1-million dollar little planes with four or six AA misisles, the cost equation is against you no matter what, as well as the odds of dodging all those missiles.

In other words, it is better for any air force to opt for more numerous, cheaper planes instead of a very expensive one.

BTC: 16qMaJyTXB3EyYrTvMJ6GsQUc238hnKoSS LTC: LgBZscVTNjfE6SFQg5DYNz1bGKnPbF9xiX

Nuevo tema Responder al tema  [ 2 mensajes ] 

Todos los horarios son UTC